Re: New 2.2r2 install, X works, no mouse pointer....

shannon@strangehouse.com wrote:

> Hello, all.
>
>         I just installed Debian 2.2r2 over my old mandrake 7.2 installation (all partitions other than /home formatted) Everything went well, except X.  At first, I couldn't start X because it couldn't find my mouse. Turns out it was looking for /dev/mouse, which does not exist, so I changed that to /dev/ttyS0.  Now I can start X, and the mouse works, but there is no cursor!  I can bring up menus in WindowMaker, and if I left-click and drag on the desktop (group - select style), I get a block which looks like a bar code on a cereal box.  After clicking on anything, the "UPC code" disappears again.  When there is no cursor displayed, I can manipulate menus, etc, although it is very difficult without any visual feedback to tell me where I'm pointing.  Almost all the buttons on my mouse work, except the scroll button, which didn't work in mandrake either, so I expected that.  The mouse is a Logitech TrackMan Marble FX, PS-2 version, with a PS-2 to serial adapter, connected to!
  ttyS0.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Probably the video card you have has a buggy driver for Xfree. there is a
pretty easy
workaround for it.  edit /etc/X11/XF86Config and put this in there

Option    "sw_cursor"

I *believe* that goes in the "Device" section. its been a good 10 months since
i've had
to do this(only had to do it on S3 cards). after that restart X. i reccomend
you not
having a display manager running while doing this incase the configuration is
wrong
the display manager may get caught in an endless loop.(if you start X via
'startx'
then chances are there is no display manager)  that should put a real cursor
on
your screen.

good luck.

nate