Re: OT: Best PDA?

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 12:13:16PM +0100, Jonathan Gift wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to make my debian more mobile by hooking up a PDA. Last I
> looked, the Palm OS dominated, only I didn't like learning its language.
> Is there anything else or is it worth learning after all? My primary
> use will be for making text notes. Or, let's say, adapting text notes
> made on the desktop and moved over.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jonathan

Take the time and learn graffiti, it's fast, and accurate. Most of the
handwriting recog programs suck, they are either too slow, or
inaccurate, or both. Get a visor instead of the palm. I have the palm,
bought my wife the visor, and wish I could trade. The palm is not as
sturdy as the visor, and is slightly wider than the visor. (this is for
the older IIIX(E) series, the new m100 is smaller) If all you are going
to do is take notes, then you can get the cheaper 2MB visor, but if you
are like me, you'll wind up installing stuff and would miss the extra
ram. Although with the visor you can add a ram expansion via the
springboard slot. Anyway. I prefer the visor enough that I will be
replacing my palm with one in a month or less.

Another option is the Agenda (www.agendacomputing.com) if you want to be
linuxised, but frankly, I have one, and it's no replacement for a pilot
or visor. It's cool, and it has promise (it's in developement now)

Pocket PC is another option, but I have little experience with them.

Ipaq, (expensive and hard to get) can use linux, I don't know how well
they work as a pda though. Anyway, for price and convenience, go with a
visor or palm.

Just my $0.02 worth.

--
Jim Richardson