RE: OT : Red Carpet and Common Update mechanism (was RE: Nautilus ?)

>the barrier to
>
>I think you're missing my point here. I'm talking about some
>service wich
>would just be interfaced to by some unnamed application and
>wich would (yes
>in an apt way) be used to query the required 'information'
>wich could be
>updates/documentation and so on. It's a  much broader
>application then the
>Ximian thing i guess, but then again i just saw screenshots,
>it never worked
>(apt/dselect did of course :))
I'm not disagreeing at all with you about a standard. What I'm saying is
that it will need to come from the community. It will never come from
corporations. It will have to come from the very body that breaths life into
Linux, not those who seek to make money from it. I'm sorry if I seem to be
at odds with your intent, I'm not.

>That's exactly contradictory to what i'm pointing out here,
>company's always
>assume that they have to corner people down to get revenue.
>(were not a hurd
>are we ?) Instead such a service (part of the os service it
>would be) would
I know that it is contradictory to what you are saying. But I haven't said
that that is the way it has to be. I'm simply pointing out how a corporation
is going to look at it right now. Even a Linux company has people who have
been brainwashed with the 'business' philosophy. Since these companies are
counting on this paying their employees in the near future, you are going to
see 'hungry' practices...not cooperative. Again, I'm not disagreeing with
you.

>That over-arching service is the whole point i'm making,
Just don't expect a 'company' to provide it. It will have to come from a
layer of development closer to the core

>they'll try skrewing up some part of it. That's the 'nature' of the
>parasites (hungry company's) that ravaged our economic (to
>maintain what you
>were given) and other social systems worldwide. Face it, we
>all know where
>the economic crises come from, it ain't us it's they (company's).
Agreed. I'm watching our IT department (of which I am one) purchase the
upgrades for Office 2000. The amount of money our people will be paying
would fund Linux developers for a decade. If every company devoted just one
person to assist with the kernel and other projects it would be cheaper (by
far) and there would be more getting done than you could shake a stick at.
Sigh...maybe someday.