Re: Really easy FTP question

on Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 09:22:45PM -0800, Matheson Cameron (cmatheson3@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I have a *really* easy question about FTP.  How do I
> enable it?  I'm pretty sure It's not enabled as I read
> that it's insecure (I want to use oftpd eventually),
> and it doesn't work.  Is their a file I need to edit
> (does it matter that I'm behind a proxy?).

Proxy may matter, but you should be able to do:

    $ ftp localhost

...to test your local server w/o dealing with networking at all.

Otherwise, simply installing an FTP server should be suitable.  Note
that there are many, many, many problems with FTP services, and the list
of recommended servers is small.  Don Marti writes on one such in this
month's Linux Journal, oftpd.  Otherwise, I _think_ proftp is
recommended, but I'm not sure of that.

If you just need to start the daemon:

    $ /etc/init.d/<daemon> start

...should do it.  Else check logs (messages, daemon) for any helpful
output.