Re: startx not passing options to server?

"Eric G. Miller" wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 11:04:37AM -0600, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> > I recently downgraded from XFree 4 to 3.3.6 (the one in Potato).  I also
> > made sure to downgrade xbase-clients and xserver-svga (the server I'm
> > using).  Then, I recreated my XF86Config file.
> >
> > I have my XF86Config file set up so that there is only one resolution
> > choice for each color depth.  That way, I can simply use the '-bpp'
> > option to force X to use a particular resolution as well as color
> > depth.  This all worked fine under version 4.
> >
> > But now, when I do
> >
> > startx -- -bpp <depth>
> >
> > it does not choose the desired color depth and resolution.  It always
> > goes to the default depth that I specify in XF86Config.  The error
> > output shows no sign that it tried and rejected a particular depth or
> > resolution.
> >
> > However,
> >
> > X -bpp <depth>
> >
> > chooses the color depth and resolution just fine, as the error output
> > shows me.
> >
> > Has anyone seen this before?  Where should I start looking for a handle
> > on this problem?  It might be because of the "downgrade"; I really don't
> > know.
>
> man XFree86:

>        -bpp n  No longer supported.  Use -depth to set the  color
>                depth,  and use -fbbpp if you really need to force
>                a non-default framebuffer (hardware) pixel format.
>
>        -depth n
>                Sets the default color depth.  Legal values are 8,
>                15, 16, and 24.  Not all servers support all  val­
>                ues.

Hmmm.  This may not address my problem directly, but it may have set me
on the right path.  When I would do xinit, both -bpp and -depth would
work.

However, I noticed that I didn't have this manpage, which led me to the
discovery that I never downgraded xserver-common (which has the
manpage).

The manpage for the Potato version does give -bpp as a valid option now.

I'm going to try startx again when I get the chance.

Thanks for the input.