Re: Progeny and Upgrading

Matt Grant wrote:
> > If you like your Progeny setup, stick with Progeny.  Find a friend
> > with a CDR and burn the Release Candidate 1 ISO images.
>
> I dig the Progeny system but some things are strange and are getting
> stranger by the boot.(X hanging, Can't find hosts files,)THATS WHY
> IT'S BETA

Yes it is. ;-)

> > If you want to migrate away from a Progeny system to a vanilla Debian
> > system, then you need to bite the bullet and do a "dist-upgrade".  You
> > also need to sit down and get more comfortable with the basic tools at
> > hand: dpkg(1), apt-get(1), and apt(1).  Be prepared to rely on a small
> > Linux boot disc like your Debian Recovery Disc (disc 1 of the install
> > floppies), tomsrtbt (use google...I'm lazy right now), or the
> > Linuxcare Bootable Business Disc.
>
> The 2.2R0 Disks are broken and Progeny was the only debian based
> system that would install on my crappy laptop and I have been trying
> to build boot disks on it with busybox.

Have you detailed your problems and reported them to the BTS (Bug
Tracking System)?  I.e. Your system details, the date release of the
installation floppies you tried.  R0 is long past, and yes, it did
have a couple really annoying bugs.  I'm happy to hear you found a
solution that would work for you in the mean time.

> > Don't come around asking if going from Progeny to Debian will break
> > your system.  Obviously it will to some extent.  Are you willing to
> > work to bring your system back to a state of your liking...
>
> works for me,I'll unsubscribe right away.

Oh, don't get all sensitive on me.   These are the facts of life.
Your response is something my little sister used to spout when she was
a teenager.  <disclaimer value="That's a characterization, not an
insult."/>  No one is going to be able to predict what your system is
going to do during an install or upgrade process between two
separately maintained package distributions; no one except for those
people who have done it themselves.  You obviously are an
adventuresome type, otherwise you would not have installed a BETA
distribution.  You should be resourceful enough to dig up resources
for your task at hand, and brave enough to simply bite the bullet and
hack away.

Anyway, it's you're box.

--
^chewie

Sorry about not signing my email...I can't get access to my
home workstation today. CCW-20010320