Re: 1. gpm and Gnome / 2. console login<->graphical login

Sergio Andreozzi <sergio.andreozzi@lut.fi> writes:
SA> 1.  each time I boot my Debian Linux I have to run the following
SA> command:
SA>     gpm -k
SA> to make the mouse works!
SA> How can I avoid the loading of gpm during the boot-strap?
SA> Could I uninstall this program?

You could remove the gpm links from /etc/rc?.d to keep gpm from
starting.  Or you could remove gpm using 'dpkg --remove gpm'.  (gpm is
a console-mode mouse driver; some people like it a lot.)

SA> 2. at the end of the boot-strap I have a graphical login.
SA> How can avoid the starting of X/Gnome and have a console login?
SA> In this case how can I start Gnome?

You can switch to a text console using Ctrl+Alt+F1 (..F6), and switch
back to X using Ctrl+Alt+F7.  Or you could stop whichever of xdm, gdm,
kdm, or wdm is starting at boot time the same way you stopped gpm
before.  Without a display manager, you can start X by typing 'startx'
at the shell prompt.

	-- Abra Mitchell