Re: testing process broken

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> wrote:
>  The process by which software gets into testing needs to be much
>  more rigorous than it is. Consider:
>
>    xlibs won't upgrade because of bugs in ssh-askpass, sndconfig
>    and/or playmidi that are "fixed in unstable." Why then, did xlibs
>    get moved to testing and not the others?

I don't quite understand this - upgrade bugs of this nature (not quite
knowing what nature you mean, admittedly, but I take it you mean
postinst bugs) are impossible to detect automatically in the general
case. The best mechanism we have is release-critical bugs being filed
against the appropriate packages, which (if done in time) will block
packages from getting into testing.

>    reportbug won't install because it depends on python-newt which
>    depends on a newer version of libnewt0 than is installed in
>    testing. Why did python-newt get moved to testing and not
>    libnewt0?

This sort of bug is *intended* to be fixed by testing, and usually is.
I'm not sure why it slipped through the net, but it's a genuine bug as
opposed to a design flaw (it seems you're presenting it as the latter).

Something appears to have gone weird with python-newt, as it happens:

python-newt |  0.50.17-1 |       testing | arm, i386
python-newt |   0.50.8-2 |       testing | alpha, m68k, powerpc, sparc
   libnewt0 |  0.50.17-1 |      unstable | alpha, arm, i386
   libnewt0 |   0.50.8-2 |       testing | alpha, arm, i386, m68k,
                                           powerpc, sparc

Versions of packages normally have to stay in sync across architectures;
I'm guessing that this is due to some architectures having had
autobuilder problems recently and a bit of force having been applied.
It'll all be sorted out before release.

>    wmakerconf-data and wmaker can't both exist together in testing
>    because wmakerconf-data is version 0.62 and depends on wmaker 0.62
>    but the version of wmaker is 0.61. Why did the new version of
>    wmakerconf-data get moved to testing but not wmaker?

wmakerconf-data actually can be installed, because it only Recommends:
wmaker and Conflicts: wmaker (<< 0.62.0). Perhaps this is silly ...

>  I would argue that the latter two of these problems should not exist
>  in testing. The process by which software gets into testing (and
>  eventually to stable) should ensure that the entire distribution is
>  self-sufficient. No software shall be installed that depends on
>  nonexistent software. This should not be a difficult problem as much
>  of the software already exists in apt, dpkg, and probably others.

Modulo bugs, that's already implemented in the testing scripts (have you
looked at http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/)?

>  I *do* appreciate the Debian maintainers that bring us the best
>  Linux distribution of all, and I *do* appreciate that testing isn't
>  as stable as stable. However, our time is better spent finding
>  legitimate bugs, rather than errors that could have been
>  prevented/found by software.

The testing distribution is very new, and bugs are still being worked
out of the process. With 6000 or so packages and 6 released
architectures, it's also mind-bogglingly complicated at times, and the
dependency and conflict chains through Debian can get pretty horrific.
The design is solid, though, so give it a little time to get the rough
edges rubbed off before labelling it as "broken".

Cheers,