Problem Compiling PHP4 from deb source

Good day.

I'm a self-admitted newbie at compiling debian packages from source.

I'm wanting to compile php4 from deb-src, getting following error upon
running debian/rules build

	Configuring extensions
	checking for ASPELL support... no
	checking for bc style precision math functions... no
	checking for BZip2 support... yes
	checking for BZip2 in default path... not found
	configure: error: Please reinstall the BZip2 distribution
	make: *** [configure-apache-stamp] Error 1

I have
bzip2 1.0.1-6 installed
libbz2        installed

and am unaware of how to resolve the above problem.

I'm not sure which file(s) to modify to 'find' bzip libs, if indeed that's
what needs to be done.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

Jeff Levy
Meta-Craft Creations