xfree86 in potato and kernel 2.4.1

I have installed potato with kernel 2.2.18pre2 machine with i810
graphics on board. I couldn't get x running. I compiled kernel 2.4.1
with agpgart. I made device agpgart in /dev using MAKEDEV. I saw in
/etc/modules.conf agpgart is invoked. I have RH6.2 on the same machine.
I copied i810 x server XFCom_i810 to
/usr/bin/X11. I changed Xserver first line content to point to this.
Still when i start startx, I get msg unknown chip.. and couldn't find
device agpgart. How to get X working.
--
L.V.Gandhi
MECON, 5th Floor, RTC Complex, Visakhapatnam AP 530020 INDIA