Re: apt-get and growing cache

Original Poster: The cache is there so that you can back out failed
upgrades. I have seen several times when a new package broke something
important an older version of the package did correctly. (Example: Mutt,
libiconv, a month ago or so?)

This way, you can use dpkg to downgrade to an older package, one that
works, and continue running your business until a new package is
available to fix the problems.

I don't clear the cache until I am running low on drive space. :) But I
am just that paranoid. :)

--
Earthlink: The #1 provider of unsolicited bulk email to the Internet.