Troubles with Apache and PHP4 installs

Hi! I'm kind of new to Debian.  After a bit of trouble, I got things
(including Apache) to work the way I expected.  Then I decided to
install PHP4 and troubles began.  The PHP4 package install offered to
run apacheconfig.  I did this, and then apache wouldn't start.  The
weird thing is that it gives errors like:

  Syntax error on line 70 of /etc/apache/httpd.conf:
  Invalid command 'ExtendedStatus', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a

This seems strange because this doesn't seem like something that PHP4
would have changed.  I looked up the apache docs and it says this is
something from mod_status.  Did apt-get somehow clobber the Apache
modules?  Is there a good way to undo the damage?  I already tried
purging Apache and PHP4 (and MailMan, which was dependent on Apache)
and then reinstalling just Apache, but no dice.  I also tried running
"apt-get check" to check dependencies, but it thinks everything is
fine.

Thanks!

Jen

P.S. I started using Debian because of apt-get, but it seems like it's
causing more problems than not ... is there a good reference on this?
I've searched the Web and looked at the Debian Web site, and also read
through ORA's "Learning Debian GNU/Linux", but it hasn't been too
helpful.

Thanks!

Jen