Re: migrating a redhat box to dpkg/apt-get?

on Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 09:20:00AM -0800, Krzys Majewski (majewski@cs.ubc.ca) wrote:
> Anyone taught a redhat box to use .deb packages instead of .rpm's?
> I'm helping administer 100+ redhat boxes, and investigating the
> possibility of  using dpkg/apt-get,  rather than rpm,  for propagating
> local customizations.  Since the redhat file  structure would probably
> need to be preserved, I'm  thinking of a mechanism which would upgrade
> existing  off-the-shelf redhat  packages by  converting them  to .debs
> first. The  other possibility  would be to  use rpm  for off-the-shelf
> packages, and  dpkg/apt-get for  custom ones. Anyone  know if  the two
> package mechanisms can coexist?

The Debian filesystem is a base component of the Debian distribution.
You're going to fail this dependency if you don't adopt it.

What about the RH filesystem needs to be preserved?

IMO it's easier to run a Debian box and install RPMs on it via alien
than vice versa.  Alien is your OTS RPM converter, BTW.

Debian also offers 'stow' as a mechanism for managing locally installed
packages, though I haven't used it.

Overall, Debian package management trumps RH.  Again, IMO.