Re: request for handling of configuration files

Quoting Heitzso (xxh1@cdc.gov):
> PLEASE, anyone coding a configuration tool that
> creates or edits a standard configuration file
> that then has all of those
> ***** DON'T TOUCH THIS FILE *********
> notices ......
>
> PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell the user/sysadmin
> how _to_ add entries to that file.
>
> I recently added a NIC and went into
> /etc/network/interfaces
> which is, according to O'Reilly Running
> Debian Linux and Linux Network Administration
> _the_right_place_to_make_changes
> and I'm confronted with those "don't touch
> this file" messages but not a clue as to
> how I _should_ set up the new interface
> the correct debian way.

This is my /etc/network/interfaces (with private-ised numbers):

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.192.11
        netmask 255.255.254.0
        network 192.168.192.0
        broadcast 192.168.193.255
        gateway 192.168.192.1

> The message did say, "this file configured
> by etherconfig" or some such text but when
> I tried to run 'etherconfig' it didn't exist.
> There was a package etherconfig

Where was there a package "etherconfig"? I've never heard of it.

> but no info
> in /usr/share/doc/etherconfig in how to
> reconfigure your interfaces.
>
> Thanks for hearing out my rant ... the core
> of which is to just add one more comment
> line telling the poor frazzeled sysadmin
> how the setup modification should be done.

man 8 interfaces

Cheers,