Re: help in getting started

> Amit Ganpule wrote:
>
> Dear Sir,
> I have recently purchased a computer magazine along with that two CDs of
> Debian were given, now I bought the magazine for the Linux CDs, but I can't
> make head or tail of how to install, run or do anything with the CDs. I do
> not know how to partition the hard disc, I am very much interested in
> switching over to Linux OS.

if you don't know how to partition a hard disk i strongly, honestly
reccomend against using linux at this point in time unless there is someone
local to you that can hold your hand. i have helped many many people
in person from knowing nothing about linux to being able to use it everyday
but many of them i don't think would of made it on their own(before giving up)
without a lot of help.

especially debian. debian is not a userfriendly system to install. if your
ready to spend days/weeks configuring it then post your specific questions
here. in your case i would suggest getting a dedicated PC and using something
like mandrake until you get the hang of linux. then move to debian later.
setting up a dual boot can be dangerous unless you know exactly what your
doing(honestly the first time i tried with slackware ~5 years ago i wiped
out my C: so i speak from experience).

i don't mean to discourage you but to save you a lot of effort, your post
suggests you are not ready for debian(yet).

nate

--
:::
ICQ: 75132336