Re: Transferring Debian

on Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 09:36:42AM -0000, vdemart@supereva.it (vdemart@supereva.it) wrote:

> I've set up and tailored a terrific potato 2.2r2 + KDE2 on my laptop and now I'd like to replicate this same installation on my desktop via NFS.
> My question is: How can I copy a Debian installation from one partition of my laptop to another of my desktop?
> (I had a go at with "cp -R -d --target-directory=/mydir files", modified fstab, but, even if it works, from time to time UID problems emerge)
> Vittorio

Better to go through a proper installation.  Cloning a system is best
done on identical hardware.

You can simplify the process by:

  - Install _just_ the base system on the laptop.

  - Saving your current configuration with

    $ dpkg --get-selections > file

  - Copying your current debian package archive to the new system.
    These are the files under /var/cache/apt/archives.

  - Set the desktop's package selection:

    $ dpkg --set-selections < file

  - Run an apt-get update.  Most of your packages should be fetched from
    the existing local archive.