Re: view changelogs of new packages before installing them

on Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 09:05:01PM +0100, Andre Berger (uzscd5@uni-bonn.de) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> can I view a package's changelog without having to download it first?
> This would be esp. useful for intended large downloads such as
> kernel-source-*; even kernel-doc-* is more than one meg to download each
> time.

    $ apt-get install --download-only package

...You can then browse the package file itself through tools like mc,
gmc, or nautilus, or unpack it (it's a shar shell archive) to a
convenient location.

...I'm not aware that package files are available independently of the
packages themselves.