Re: ntpdate, /etc/timezone et all.

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 10:57:37 -0500 (EST)
"Stan Brown" <stanb@awod.com> wrote:

> I am trying to get my machine to have the harware clock set to UTC, and honor the
> TZ environment variable for displaying the correct local time. I will use ntpdate
> to keep the time in synch.
>
> Curently I have the correct timezone in /etc/timezone, and the correct offset from
> the hardware clock is being applied, but I can't seem to get my script that runs
> ntpdate to set the hardware clock to UTC. It persists in setting it to the local
> time, so my displayed time, after applying the offset, is incorect.
>
> How can I get this to work?

If you installed ntpdate with debian, the script in init.d should just
be fine. Your harware clock is not really being used in Linux beside
getting the time at boot and setting the harware clock to what it
should be during shutdown. But if you actually what to do it your
self, have a look at man hwclock(8), specially the options --utc and
--systohc.

HTH

--
Christoph Simon