Re: pppd problem ?

Philipp Bliedung <philipp.bliedung@bliedung.de> writes:

> It complains about the module: tty-ldisc-3. I have absolutely no
> clue where I can get it from, I've never heared about anything lilke
> that.  What do I have to do to get my modem working?

Have a look at the file /etc/modutils/aliases (The files located in
/etc/modutils/ are used to create /etc/modules.conf by the program
`update-modules'.  See `man update-modules' for more information).
There is a line

alias tty-ldisc-3 ppp_async

You'll need the kernel module ppp_async, so just activate the option
`PPP support for async serial ports' in the kernel configuration.
Perhaps you should activate the ppp-compression-modules, too.  IIRC
ppp support was just one module in 2.2-kernels, now it appears to have
been divided into several smaller modules.

If there is some strange name and you don't know what it means you can
always try:

find /etc -type f | xargs grep strange_name

This will often give you the vital hint.

hope this helps,
Christoph