Anyone using SoundBlaster 16? / better card?

I purchased a Soundblaster 16 (PCI) CT4810 OEM card yesterday and still can't
get the thing to work.  I've selected all the soundblaster choices for
the kernel as well as pnp support.  The card isn't detected on boot,
nothing in dmesg.  I've tried using module es1371, got a little static.
/sbin/lspci -v shows -

00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq: Unknown device 5880 (rev 02)
	Subsystem: Ensoniq: Unknown device 2003
	Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 10
	I/O ports at d800 [size=64]
	Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

I got this card because I though it would be easy to install.  Are there
any lower end cards that are?  How do I get this thing to work.
Thanks,
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted