Re: Swap file location

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 06:56:51PM -0800, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> That's what I did (more or less).  I also have a swap partition, but I
> set the priority for the swap file in /etc/fstab so the dedicated swap
> partition would be used first -- Somehow, I don't think this matters
> since they are both on the same drive...

I think it actually does make a (small) difference.  I believe there's
more overhead when using a swap file that exists within the filesystem.
I don't know if this is true or not, as I head this in late kernel 2.0
days.  Because the swapfile was in the filesystem, it got treated like a
file, and was subject to whatever buffering and other treatment given to
a file.  Swap partitions are treated a bit different.  Searching through
some of the kernel code could provide you with some info.

noah