trimming the logs

My drive was about 55-60% full yesterday, but today it was 98% full, so as an emergency measure, I 'rm -rf /opt/kde' but that only got me to 96%.  Then it hit me that the idiot who has been portscanning me for hours might have filled up the drive.

I checked the logs and that is what it was.  The logs did not tell me where this idiot was connecting from, oddly enough.  I can tell iptables to just drop any future packets for those ports (it was port 79 and port 1 I believe) and not log them (I do not run fingerd) but is there something I should do to keep my logs trimmed automatically?
I thought my system was taking care of that.  I have never had this problem before.

thanks

--
Andrew