Re: ppp mystery

Quoting Gl Elad (gilelad@netvision.net.il):

> Yes there is a connection, and I get a message from the remote machine. The
> problem is that the "message"
> usually looks like garbage.

Is the garbage comparible in length and timing with the windows
version? i.e. if you use windows, connect and type nothing,
you presumably get a banner, then there's a pause, then it gets
fed up, writes something and exits. Does minicom receive a
reasonably similar quantity of characters, wait about as long,
then receive the rest before it hangs up?

Or does the garbage come screaming in?

In the first case, I can only suggest a couple of things.
Try pressing return a few times to see if that changes things.
At one time, you always had to send some characters for the
modem at the other end to see you properly.
Secondly, try typing PPP return. Alternatively, finish your
chat file with
CONNECT \d\c
'' PPP
Some systems behave differently according to what they receive
within a short time interval of connecting.

In the second (screaming) case, you might try exiting minicom
without resetting the modem (^A Q) and starting pppd with a command
like
/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 115200 defaultroute noauth
                        ^ ^^^^^^ check these
As you need to do this reasonably quickly, it may help to have
the command ready-typed in another VC or xterm.

Cheers,