X and Netscape key problem

I am having problems with the delete key.

I can use an xmodmap to map keycode 22 to 0xff08.
Although xterm and emacs cope with this, Netscape does not.
Thus I can delete correctly in both xterm and emacs.

Has anyone any idea what might be causing this?

Is this a known X problem?

In /var/log/xdm.log
I have an error message

sh: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

I guess this could be the problem. How can I generate
the appropriate keymap? Which program is trying to run xkbcomp
using the wrong absolute filename?