Re: .startx & ximian-gnome

Lo, on Thursday, March 15, Marcelo Chiapparini did write:

> I run potato 2.2r2 plus ximian gnome. I have just found that the file
> /~.xsession is not read when a X session starts. Where should I put the
> information present in the file .xsession in this case?

Are you using gdm?  If so, try choosing the "Xsession" option on the
"Session" menu.  (At least, I think that's what the menu is called; it's
the first one on the left.)  This should read your .xsession file.

> My .xsession file is the following:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> exec /usr/bin/fetchmail

However, this isn't going to be a particularly good .xsession file.
Whenever this script (or, in this case, the process it execs) terminates, X
will shut down, logging you back out again.  You'll need to set your
.xsession up accordingly; mine looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc
xrdb -cpp /usr/bin/m4 .Xresources
xsetroot -solid "#008080"
xset m 3 4
exec fvwm2 -cmd "FvwmM4 ~/.fvwm2rc" 1> ~/.FVWM-errors 2>&1

So, when I tell fvwm2 to exit, xsession is done, and I get logged out,
which is what I want.

Richard