Debian lpd server Solaris lpr client trouble.

hi.

For many moons i have had a lpd print server running on
a debian 2.2r2 system. basically it just re-spools to another
win32 system which prints to the printer. sofar i only have used
it on other linux machines and it has worked great. today i am
trying to setup a solaris machine to print to it, and it tries
but the debian machine returns a not-very-useful error message:

Mar 15 14:02:10 it-wa lpd[860]: restarting lp
Mar 15 14:02:13 it-wa last message repeated 3 times
Mar 15 14:02:14 it-wa lpd[860]: lp: job could not be printed (cfA003nis-wa.graphon.com)

printing from my desktop to that server works fine, i am attemping
to print a basic website (http://portal.aphroland.org) just for
testing. via netscape. since solaris seemingly is submitting the
job(nis-wa.graphon.com is the host) i tend to think the trouble
may be on the debian side.

solaris's configuration:
/etc/printers.conf :
lp:\
        :bsdaddr=it-wa,lp,Solaris:\
        :description=defaultprinter:
_default:\
        :use=lp:

the debian box is 2.2r2 running lpr 0.48-1, and a smbprint script. I
added the solaris machine to /etc/hosts.equiv (before that i would
get an error saying access denied). the setup on my debian desktop
to print to the same machine is:
/etc/printcap:
lp|Remote printer entry:\
         :lp=:\
         :rm=it-wa.graphon.com:\
         :rp=lp:\
         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote:\
         :mx#0:\
         :sh:

i am no good at lpd stuff so maybe someone has an idea what could
be goin wrong .. !! i hope :)

thanks!

nate