Re: kmod and NAT broken in 2.4.1?

At 10:25 AM 3/15/01 -0600, Phil Brutsche wrote:

> 2) iptables NAT facility doesn't seem to work.  I have a line
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.10.0/24 -o eth1 -j SNAT
> --to-source x.y.z.q
> where eth1 is connected to my DSL (static IP) and x.y.z.q is the
> address assigned me.  When I trace a ping to x.y.z.1 from a local
> machine (running NT 4) it looks as if traffic on my router machine
> flows from eth0 (local subnet) to eth1 and then back to eth1, but
> that's the end of it.  ping works from the router machine.

With 2.4 such things don't work (trying to contact the external interface
of the firewall via an interal machine).  Beyond that it should work just
fine.

I don't think I was trying to contact the external interface, but we may be using that word differently.

My router has a card eth1 with address x.y.z.q, used both by me and the outside world (my "external interface"). I am trying to pick x.y.z.1 on the DSL provider's network. The packets do go out eth1 and back in, but they don't make the final return trip to eth0.

Do packets not get sent out eth1?

- --
Phil Brutsche                               pbrutsch@tux.creighton.edu