Re: Functionality simular to FreeBSD's jails

    DS> On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 05:03:16PM +0300, Ilya Martynov wrote:
    >> I'm interested if there is exists some software which allows to
    >> implement virtual boxes under Linux (something that provide simular
    >> capabilities as FreeBSD's jails). The only thing I know about is
    >> user-mode linux kernel. Does anybody had experience with it? How
    >> stable is it? Is there any limitations? Is there any other
    >> alternatives that can run under Linux?

    DS> Something like chroot?

No. chroot is not safe enough. I want to create virtual boxes in which
I can give root rights to other people and I want to be sure that they
can't break other boxes.

AGAIK if you have root you can escape chroot'ed directory. Another
problems that root can have direct access to devices. I don't want to
allow it. Good solution is really independant virtual boxes which are
run from one real. This is what FreeBSD's jails provides. User-mode
linux kernel seems to allow it too but I'm not sure how stable is it
and if there are exist any limitations.

--
Ilya Martynov
AGAVA Software Company, http://www.agava.com