remote install on 100+ workstations?

The  computer  science department  at  my  university  has many  Linux
boxes.  Say,  on  the  order  of  100.  Almost  all  these  boxes  run
RedHat (not Debian, but read on).

I don't like RedHat  that much: for example, RedHat 7.0 ships
with broken  kernel headers, an unreleased and  unsupported version of
the gcc compiler,  and a glibc version on which  gcc will only compile
after applying patches (these  patches complicate life by changing, in
an  architecture-dependent   way,  header  files  which   get  put  in
architecture-independent places).

I would like to investigate replacing RedHat with Debian.

The  current  rationale  for  using  RedHat is  that  there  exists  a
mechanism for  installing/upgrading many RedHat boxes,  in a customized
way, over the  network. This mechanism is called  "kickstart". I don't
know much  about it. I  don't know if  a similar mechanism  exists for
Debian. However, I suspect that it does.

My question, then, is this: does  anyone have (or know of) a mechanism
which will  allow us  to install Debian  remotely on a  hundred+ boxes,
including  department-specific  customizations,  such as  patches  and
non-Debian  files?    Given  that  we  are   a  research  environment,
administered by  some pretty  clueful people, our  linux installations
will necessarily  be very customized. So something  like 'apt-get', by
itself, is not good enough as I know it.

Finally, I think  I've seen posts about this on  this list before, but
I'm  not  having  any  luck  finding  them  via  the  archives  search
engine. So  I apologize if  it turns out  that this topic  has already
been beaten to death on this list  in the past (I've been off the list
for a while, owing to its high volume).

cheers,
chris