etherexpress card and modconf

hullo.

I'm having trouble getting my Intel EtherExpress card online.  Using
modconf, when I try at add the "eexpress" module, it first does an
autoprobe and returns this:
eexpress

io = 0x300
irq = 0           (IRQ value read from EEPROM)

So I assume I need to specify the irq.  I _believe_ the irq is 14, but
I've tried 9 and 5 also, and all return the same error:

/lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/net/eexpress.o: init_module: Device or resource
busy
Hint: this error can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters

This is followed by failure messages.

The command-line parameter I am using in modconf is this:
options eexpress io=0x300 irq=14

I found that line on a webpage so have no idea if it is correct or not.
That's when I decided the actual mailing list might be helpful.

The ethernet card did work yesterday when RedHat was on it.  But let's
not speak of that again.

Any help would be very ... helpful.

Thanks,
Don.