Re: More on extra keys...

To some extent it depends on which window manager you use.  In
WindowMaker for example you can assign a key to any custom menu item.
 KDE has a program called khotkeys.  This may have changed with KDE
2.x.  I don't use it.  Most of the popular WM's have some way of
handling custom hot keys.

I believe there's also a way with raw X using ~/.Xresources  or the
equivalent X resource config file.  I can't help you much there, but
it's a hint anyway. :-)

Cheers,
Steve