Re: Correct X server for AYI Rage Fury Pro?

As was proclaimed by Stan Brown:
> On Tue Mar 13 13:58:33 2001 mike polniak wrote...
> >
> >Stan Brown wrote:
> >> I fnally put together a system out of somewhat less than ancient parts.
> >>
> >> Now on installing stable on it, it does not auto detect the correct X server. It'
> >> has an AATI Rage Fury Pro video card in it, in an AGP socket (my first AGP). What X
> >> server should I install?
> >
> >	I got my ATI Rage Fury Pro 128 working with the configuration
> >help at www4.ncsu.edu/~dstclai/rage128-howto.html.
> >	You need XFree86-4.0.1. If you want DRI support for the
> >chipset you'll have to use kernel 2.4 and XFree86-4.0.2
>
> 	Thanks.
>
> 	Actually, I don't know that I feeel quite that adventerous just yet.
> 	What if I just wan to use it in say 1280x1024 with lot's of colors
> 	mode? Can I use XFree86 version 3 for that? I'm trying to come up with
> 	a solution thats in "stable".

	If you are going to use 3.3.6 then you may need to download the source
and apply the patch that is needed to get text to display properly.  I'm not
sure if the latest build of 3.3.6 has the patch already applied.  Some advice,
I was never able to get 3.3.6 to work with this card, but XFree 4.0.{1,2}
worked fine, though YMMV.

Ian