Re: my organization is possibly expecting 500 IBM linux laptops....how to install efficiently?

on Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 12:41:15PM -0500, Walter Tautz (wtautz@math.uwaterloo.ca) wrote:
> just wondering if there are any disk image tools that would enable
> rapid efficient installs.
>
> NOTE. Most of these laptops will most likely be dual bootable.
>
> I have heard there are some windows tools like diskimage, partition
> magic that may aid in this process....

Check the thread "Configuring 100 identical Debian Laptops" posted late
Jan / early Feb to debian-laptop.  Suggestions include

  - network install
  - ghost
  - FAI (fully automatic installation)
    http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai
  - 2.5" to 3.5" drive adaptors (for use in ghosting drives)
  - bpbach (http://www.bpbatch.org/)
  - System Imager, a VA Linux product, available on SourceForge
    http://systemimager.sourceforge.net

Cheers.