OT: X, or maybe just X4

This is probably the wrong place to ask this question but i'm sure someone
will be able to answer it.

When creating a new window X seems to freeze until the window is drawn, the
mouse cursor can still move but clicking on something is ignored till the
window is done.

Why is this?

Also, this high CPU usage when using fonts in QT apps (Gtk apps seem
noticably quicker when it comes to opening new windows) does anyone know if
theres work being done on this?

I'm using unstable, so its X4.02 using the ati driver for my Ati 3d Rage
videocard. kernel 2.4.2.

William