Re: system slowdown when copying audio CDs

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Romain Lerallut wrote:

> I have a problem when writing audio tracks from a CD to my HD.
> My PC slows down a *lot*  when copying tracks from an audio
> CD, but not when I'm reading data (neither when I'm burning a CD).

Ripping audio data requires your machine to throttle the IDE controller
and the CD-ROM drive hard... and depending on your configuration, it /can/
be a very intensive process..

I'm sure we've all seen Windows freeze when you put a CD in because it's
asking the CD drive about the newly inserted disc, and the drive is
locking the IDE interface while it has a think...

I have no SCSI CD-ROM, but I wouldn't be surprised if things were MUCH
better ....

That's what I think anyway - I'm no hardware guru so I'm probably
completely wrong :)

Regards,
Gavin