Re: Mirror

"Hamelsveld van, S (Sven)" wrote:

> Hi there people,
>
> I hope that one of you can tell me how I can create a debian mirror ?
> I would like to create one here so that we can easy update the systems we
> have running debian

There are a bunch of possibilities depending on exactly what you want
to mirror and how much work, disk space and bandwidth you want to throw
at it.

Both mirror and rsync provide reasonably options. I have tried both and
ended up using rsync. Running

rsync -atzvrl --progress --exclude-from exclude-list \
ftp.<country_abbreviation>.debian.org::debian .

will mirror the entire debian tree provided the exclude-list is empty.
You probably do not want to do this as you will end up with binaries
for alpha, arm, hppa etc which you might not need. If you put the
follwing in your exclude-file you will get what is appropriate for i386:

Contents-alpha.gz
Contents-arm.gz
Contents-hppa.gz
Contents-hurd-i386.gz
Contents-ia64.gz
Contents-m68k.gz
Contents-mips.gz
Contents-mipsel.gz
Contents-powerpc.gz
Contents-s390.gz
Contents-sparc.gz
binary-alpha/
binary-arm/
binary-hppa/
binary-hurd/
binary-hurd-i386/
binary-ia64/
binary-m68k/
binary-mips/
binary-mipsel/
binary-powerpc/
binary-s390/
binary-sparc/
disks-alpha/
disks-arm/
disks-m68k/
disks-powerpc/
disks-sparc/
*alpha.deb
*arm.deb
*hurd-i386.deb
*ia64.deb
*m68k.deb
*mips.deb
*powerpc.deb
*sparc.deb
*alpha.udeb
*arm.udeb
*hurd-i386.udeb
*ia64.udeb
*m68k.udeb
*mips.udeb
*powerpc.udeb
*sparc.udeb
*alpha.changes
*arm.changes
*hurd-i386.changes
*ia64.changes
*m68k.changes
*mips.changes
*powerpc.changes
*sparc.changes

Currently this will give you around 10GB of data, and a daily update
will transfer 50-100MB.

To use your local mirror for upgrading you can either export the
mirror directory with nfs and insert the appropriate file: lines
in sources.list or you can set up anonymous ftp om the mirror box
so that the debian mirror appears under debian and put a ftp: line
in the sources.list file.

> Thanks for the info
>
> Sven

You're welcome.