strange problem with squid and isdn

I have an internet gateway that runs squid and acts as an ISDN router, i.e.
isdn runs in auto mode and opens up the internet connection as soon as a
package goes out. It worked well that way. But at some point it stopped.
Well that is it still works well soemtimes and sometimes it don't.
Interestingly the problems started when we switched to an different ISP.

So what happens? The user starts his browser and directs it to a web page.
The browser then asks squid for that web page and that's it. I see the squid
connection being logged by ippl, but squid does not seem to do anything.
There is no isdn connection being started. Once when I was on site I checked
connectivity by pinging a machine and the router opened up the connection
without a problem.

Then I tried to shut down squid but /etc/init.d/squid stop failed. It
printed lots of dots followed by "Failed". I had to manually kill squid.

Needless to say everything was well again after restarting squid.

The machine btw is up-to-date potato including security updates.

Does anyone have an idea what might be going on?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Michael

P.S.: Please CC me on replies since I am not subscribed here.
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De