Re: startx initiates AfterStep. I would like GNOME/Enlightenment

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 08:05:24AM -0700, Randolph S. Kahle wrote:

> I am continuing my first installation of Debian and I
> am stuck at the point of configuring my desktop
> environment.
>
> When I run startx I get the AfterStep (?) environment.
> I would like GNOME.
>
> Can someone tell me which files I need to modify
> to make this change? (I think I have downloaded
> and installed all of the required GNOME files, but
> I'm not 100% sure).

$echo "exec gnome-session" > ~/.xsession

This will do the trick, assuming that you haven't got this
dotfile set up already, in which cause you should emacs it
(or vi it, or even edit it).
You could switch to E once inside GNOME using the control-centre.
You could also apt-get install gdm; that will give you the option
of either booting into a GNOME session or a Debian session (i.e. the
default one, using .xsession if it exists), or even more sessions (like
kde pr every wmanager available).

Best Regards,

fsm

--