kerneld error message on startup

After compiling a kernel (2.2.17) for the first time, I received a startup
message indicating that I was using kerneld and almost certainly didn't want
to.  I don't know how I turned it on, so I don't know how to turn it off.

I have enabled kmod in the kernel, but don't understand how to set it up
from Documentation/kmod.txt (refers to a directory that doesn't exist in my
setup).

All this should be academic, since I'm actually not using modules at all,
but I'd like to get rid of the error message.

Thanks,

Keith