Re: /etc/cron.daily/find

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 09:25:39PM +0100, Frederik Vanrenterghem wrote:
> Why should updatedb be run with the option --localuser=nobody ?
> Can't this be run as root, because this way, not all files on my system
> are catalogued. Is there a reason for me not to remove this option?

this is done for security reasons, if you run it as root then any user
will be able to find where any file is located regardless of file
permissions.  this has both privacy and security implications.

if you want everything cataloged, use slocate instead, it uses a
setgid binary and a read protected database, it will only show files
that you already have permission to see.

apt-get install slocate

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/