Re: error compiling a program

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 22:12:09 +0100
Philipp Bliedung <philipp.bliedung@bliedung.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can't figure out why this is happening. I tried to compile a program
> (OpenDX 4.1) because there are no binaries for Debian - at least not on
> the website of OpenDX. Anyway I did ./configure and than make ... and
> that's what I get:

> make[3]: Entering directory
> '/home/user1/programs/dx-4.1.0/src/exec/libdx'
> sed -e 's/[     ][     ]*\$/ $/' buffer.Z > __buffer.c
> gcc -E --buffer.c \
>  |  tr  -s   "\044"  "\012"  \
>  |  sed  -e   '/^#/d' \
>          -e  '/s/INCLUDE2/#include/' \
>          -e  '/^pragma/#pragma/'  >  buffer.c
> /bin/sh: buffer.c: Permission denied
> cpp: output pipe has been closed
> make[3]: *** [buffer.c] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> '/home/user1/programs/dx-4.1.0/src/exec/libdx'
>
> I have no clue what this is trying to tell me, something with no
> permission but I don't see why. Can anybody help me on that ?
> Help is very much appreciated!

First of all, there seems to be a typo: The first line starting with
sed creates a file __buffer.c, but the second line, starting with gcc
references --buffer.c, but I'm not sure.

Then, the makefile is executing a script which is trying to create a
file called buffer.c (this time without __ or --), but you have not
the permissions to do so. Check if there is already a file buffer.c
which might have no write permissions even for the owner (happens
sometimes after downloading). Before running make again, try this:
	touch buffer.c
as the same user that is executing make. Change permissions until this
works.

HTH

--
Christoph Simon