Re: apt-get question

Eric Richardson wrote:

> Here are the questions.

Thanks for all the help. I'll put what I'm thinking to do as a result of
all the responses.

> 1. Does the order matter? Will it look to cd first if the cd entry is
> first in the file and then online second?

I'll put the CD's first in the sources.list file as the person with a
dialup could save a lot of time if the CD version is good or just needs
a patch.

> 2. My setup says potato but should it say stable? Does this have the
> consequence that if testing becomes stable I would get an upgrade? With
> potato in the file will no upgrade occur?

I'll put the explicit potato in the file and just edit the file when
ready to do a dist-upgrade to the next stable version.

> 3. I want the security updates so is the default entry fine?

I'll uncomment the line in the file so I get security updates.

> 4. I should be at version 2.2r2 as I did an update from r0. Should the
> kernel be 2.2.18 as it seems this is in the proposed changes or should I
> stick with 2.2.17?

I noticed on the Debian site that the 2.2.18 kernel is a proposed update
to stable.
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/#errata
Click on the dist/potato-proposed-updates link to the ftp archives to
see the kernel file as well as other proposed changes.

<text>
If you use apt to update your packages, you can install the proposed
updates by adding the following line to
/etc/apt/sources.list:

  # security updates
  deb http://security.debian.org/ potato/updates main contrib non-free
  # proposed additions for a 2.2 point release
  deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian dists/proposed-updates/
  deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US dists/proposed-updates/

After that, run apt-get update followed by apt-get upgrade.

</text>

Any comments on the proposed-updates? It's not testing but it is not
approved stable either.

Eric :-)