Fetchmail cannot access SMTP port (I use Exim)

A few mails above a wrote about a problem with Fetchmail, Exim and Procmail. Now I realize that most likely I have a problem with Fetchmail which, after downloading, says:
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from pop.tiscalinet.it
fetchmail: Query status=10 (SMTP)
fetchmail: normal termination, status 10

In Fetchmail man I can read about exit code 10:
10 The fetchmail run failed while trying to do an SMTP
   port open or transaction.

Then I try, both as maurizio (standard user) and AS ROOT, to connect to the SMTP port. What I get is:
maurizio@mamo:~$ telnet mamo 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
maurizio@mamo:~$ telnet mamo smtp
Trying 127.0.0.1...
I think it has something to do with permissions and/or security.

If I can get this to work I'll get Fetchmail+Exim+Procmail[+Mutt] to work.

How can I solve the problem?
Can anybody help me, please?
TIA!
Bye,
Maurizio.
Virgilio Mail - Il tuo indirizzo E-mail gratis
http://mail.virgilio.it