Re: installing win98 after everthing else....

I can answer part of this.

I haven't done anything quite so complex as that, but I did use Linux fdisk
to partition my disk like I wanted it, then installed Windows 98, let it
have its way with my MBR, *then* installed Debian and let LILO lay down a
nice new MBR that boots to my Windows 98 FAT32 partition, which I think is
/dev/hda2.  That partition is a primary that's not at the start of the disk,
but being ignorant of all things non-Micro$oft, Windows just sees it as C:
and is completely satisfied with that. DOS fdisk is a little confused by the
setup but deals with it--I can't quite remember--however there's no way you
get partition a disk like I have with DOS fdisk; it's just not flexible
enough.

In your case, I think you should be fine pulling the master, reconfiguring
your partition as FAT32, and installing Windows 98 there, and (I guess) who
cares about the MBR on what will be the slave. Once you put back in the
master, you won't even have to boot from a floppy to change your MBR, as
your master's MBR will have been safe and sound sitting on your desk. 8)

However, I'm not sure how Windows 98 will react when that master is back in
there and drive letters may or may not be remapped. I guess you might try
just real quickly setting up the new partition, booting DOS and formatting
it with /s (being careful to figure out what partition is what!), then set
up LILO and try to boot it, then see how all the drives map. If that boot
drive maps to C:, like it will when the slave is temporarily the master,
then I bet you'll be OK. If not, it may take more thinking.