Re: AWE64 Configuration...

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, Jason Loll wrote:

> "James K. Wiggs" wrote:
>
> >  Folks,
> >
> >    First off, I don't have access to my machine that's receiving
> > mail from the debian-user mailing list right now, so please respond
> > via email as well as to the list if at all possible.  If not, I will
> > not see your reply for 3-4 days.  Now, on to the fun...
> >
> >    I've been tearing my hair out trying to get my AWE64 working
> > again after switching from RedHat 6.2 to Debian 2.2r2.  Can anyone
> > tell me what I'm missing, here?

[lots of stuff deleted...]

   My thanks to the folks who responded to this, but I've decided that
I simply can't spare the time and effort to tinker this into working at
this time.  I've scrubbed Debian off this workstation and reinstalled
RH 6.2 (for now).  Perhaps at some later time I'll try Debian again,
but I simply can't afford the time it seems to take to get simple stuff
like sound working with it.

   I've been pleased with the simplicity of doing update/upgrades on
this box in the 2-3 weeks I've been running Debian on it, and I'm still
planning to install it on my server boxes as a result of that fact.
But for my desktop workstation with multimedia and CD-RW and such, it
is just too much of a pain in the butt to get things working.

   Thanks, again, to those who tried to help me out with this.

> I got my sb awe64 working about a month ago.  I could post my entire set of
> notes,
> of what I did to get everything working even midi.  You should have some sound.
> Did you do these steps:
> # cd /dev , # MAKEDEV audio
>
> add name to audio group
>     /etc/group