Building Xfree 4.0.3 source package on potato (debconf problem?)

I've been trying to compile my own X4.02 debs using "apt-get source".
The problem is that xfree v4.0.2 has libglide2-dev libglide3-dev as
build dependencies.  I was able to build the .deb's for the libglib,
BUT, they won't install because my debconf is too old for them (they
want debconf (>= 0.3.74) while mine is 0.2.80.17.

I tried building debconf from unstable, but it fails in the following
way:
,----
| dh_clean debian/debconf.changelog
| dh_clean: Sorry, but 2 is the highest compatability level of debhelper \
|       currently supported.
| make: *** [clean] Error 1
| Build command 'cd debconf-0.9.22 && dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc' failed.
| E: Child process failed
`----
This is is because debconf has a build dependency on a newer version
of debhelper...

I would really not like to get system utilities like debconf and
friends from unstable.  I'm wondering if I can get around that
somehow...  Are there apt-able sources for xfree4.0.2?  Any other
suggestions?

Many thanks,
--
Arcady Genkin