Re: apt-get source -b build directory

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 02:33:25PM -0800, Bill Wohler wrote:
>   I just tried `apt-get source -b xmms' and the package was downloaded
>   and built in /etc. Why there? Wouldn't it be better to do it in
>   /usr/src?

apt-get source downloads the source to the current directory.  You
happened to be in /etc when issuing the command, thus the sources got
there as well.

>   If I can't change Debian policy, how can I configure apt-get to
>   download and build in /usr/src? Assuming, of course, that someone
>   convinces me I don't want to do that ;-).

This one I don't know if it's configurable, but if you really feel that
cd'ing to /usr/src manually is too cumbersome, just make a script, say
apt-build:

#!/bin/sh -e
cd /usr/src
apt-get source -b "$@"

With little magic one could also install built packages automatically
in the script...

--
Tommi Komulainen                                 Tommi.Komulainen@iki.fi
GPG 1024D/68388EE6    6FD6 DD79 EB38 BF6F 3533  09C0 04A8 9871 6838 8EE6