Debian and slow modems

I have used Slackware, Mandrake, and Corel Linux and
the modem was set to 115200, and no problem with
downloads.  Now that I have graduated to Debian, and
to be truthful, have done a couple of reinstalls, I
was getting timed out on apt-get.  I posted to this
list and it was suggested to lower my setting to
57600, which I did, and no more time outs for apt-get,
but with Netscape nad xchat it seems that downloads
are  really slow.  I use ppp for all connections.
  I read in the Debian archives where some one
resolved their same problem with cat 0 >
/lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/ipv4/ip_masq_user.o. Well I
changed my speed to 115200 and tried that and it the
results were the same.
 Does anyone know why this is happening with the 56k
modem and Debian, or is it something that I have to
live with.  I use a external modem.
All help and comments are appreciated.
Don