Re: dselect help

on Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 03:51:44PM -0500, paul j botelho (paul.j.botelho@Dartmouth.EDU) wrote:
> I tried using dselect to uninstall some packages.  Unfortunately I did
> not notice the various other packages that depended on it.  Now dselect
> wants to uninstall all these packages.  Luckily I chose "no" to this
> uninstallation.
>
> My question is:
>
>     Is there a way to tell dselect to go back to its state before I
> started selecting things to be uninstalled?

Check under /var/lib/dpkg.  You'll find the files "status" and
"status-old".  I believe status-old is the state of things one immediate
version prior.  I also believe there was an earlier system in which
several prior states where kept.  I have to admit I understand this
poorly.

Better, if you want to preserve a given state, to run:

   $ dpkg --get-selections > dpkg-selections

...possibly versioning the selections file.  You can then restore from
this with:

   $ dpkg --set-selections < dpkg-selections

Cheers.