Re: sound in potato

On wed, 07 mar 2001, john gennard wrote:

> /dev/sndstat, /dev/audio and /dev/dsp showed as 'crw-rw----  root   audio'
> which seems to be correct.

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     audio          11 sep 11  1999 /dev/audio ->
/dev/audio0

crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   4 sep 11  1999 /dev/audio0

> 	a. How do I avoid having user as a member of disk group?
> 	    It is undesirable is it not?

_Never_ do that. You could damage all your system.

Try:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 nov 19  1999 /dev/cdrom ->
/dev/hdc

and

brw-rw----    2 root     cdrom     11,   1 jul 31  2000 /dev/hdc

Add user to group cdrom

> 	b. Setuid root I've never understood - is this in any way a
> 	    problem and how should I set it if at all?

At least for xmcd you should do that. Install suidregister (this is a
good idea) and type:

suidregister -s xmcd /usr/lib/xmcd/Linux-i686/xmcd root audio 4750
suidregister -s xmcd /usr/lib/xmcd/Linux-i686/cda root audio 4750

Add user to group audio

> 	d. An example /usr/share/xmcd/config/cdrom for an ATAPI
> 	    drive would be helpful - does any one know a URL

xmcdconfig is straightforward

> 	e. There are at least 8 more cdplayer progams on 2.2 r2 CD's,
> 	    I wonder which are found to be best.

I don't know which is the best.

> Grateful for any help or pointers - hope there is sufficient brief
> detail above to indicate what I've tried so far.
>
> John.

You're welcome.

--
Santiago Fernandez			Linux Registered User #164729